Saturday, February 11, 2006

Middle School Clique Behavior Amongst Academics

In my middle school, I was one of the first people to hate Green Day. I loved them at first; they were an anthem to horny teenaged boys. Then I decided to hate them--not because their music is crappy (which it is)--but because everyone else LOVED them. I quickly became an anti-trendy after that.

Now my tastes are my tastes despite what everyone else likes. However, on the Ole Miss campus, and maybe every college campus, there is a higher concentration of people who hate this or that simply because it is so popular.

When I was in high school I thought that college was going to be a place where there is a free flow of ideas, and people judge those ideas based on their merit. There is some of that yes, but especially among social science crowds, there are many people just trying to be smarter and more opinionated than eachother. I think this is the reason why Lacan and Derida are so popular. They present incomprehensible academic babble that people pretend is meaningfull so they can sound smart.

The only understandable utterance that spew from these people's mouths is that "white men are evil". But to make a claim against this is like saying you believe in Darwinian Evolution at the Southern Baptists convention.

There isn't a whole lot of difference between Post-Modernism and Christian fundamentalism. They both are extremely distrustful of Science, and they are both radicals.

1 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

anti-trendies unite.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Explorer Destroyer